This store requires javascript to be enabled for some features to work correctly.

  • Fast shipping on 1000+ hand picked, high quality products for every kind of pup

  • Support a trusted, 100% family owned and run business

  • 10% off your first order when you sign up to our Pawsome Pals email*

  • Shop with confidence with our 30 day change of mind returns

  • Free standard delivery on orders over $129*

10 Toxic Plants Your Pooch Should Avoid

10 Toxic Plants Your Pooch Should Avoid

Here's a rundown of 10 perilous house or garden plants to keep well out of reach from your dog.

Being a new pet owner comes with its share of worries and uncertainties. Every action your furry friend takes might trigger concern, especially when it involves chewing on plants.

Animal behaviour experts explain that while munching on grass is a natural behaviour, there are potential risks if your pets encounter foliage or wild plants. The onus is on you to decipher whether their nibbling is harmless or hazardous.

To safeguard your furry companions, here's a rundown of 10 perilous house or garden plants to keep well out of reach from your beloved dog.

Amaryllis: The bulbs of the Amaryllis plant contain Lycorine and other noxious substances, which may trigger salivation, decreased appetite, vomiting, lethargy, tremors and diarrhoea.

Autumn Crocus: Despite its beauty, the Autumn Crocus ranks among the most dangerous plants for dogs. Loaded with Colchicine and other alkaloids, it triggers an intense burning sensation in the mouth, resulting in vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and potential harm to the liver and kidneys. While the bulb holds the highest toxicity, the entire plant poses a threat to dogs.

Azalea: Azaleas contain varying amounts of grayanotoxins throughout. Highly toxic to dogs, a small ingestion can lead to symptoms like drooling, refusal to eat, vomiting and diarrhoea. In severe cases it can lead to cardiovascular issues and even death.

Cyclamen: Ingesting any part, especially the roots, can lead to minor to severe symptoms, including seizures and heart rhythm issues.

Daffodil: Daffodils are believed to be harmful to dogs, with the bulb carrying the greatest toxicity. Ingesting these flowers can lead to severe vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties, abdominal pain and convulsions.

Dieffenbachia: Found in numerous households and workplaces, this plant contains calcium oxalate crystals which can induce severe oral irritation, excessive drooling, nausea, vomiting, and challenges with swallowing if consumed.

Oleander: It may look beautiful but every part of this plant is poisonous due to its cardiac glycosides, impacting heart rhythm and potentially proving deadly. Signs of poisoning include drooling, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.

Peace Lily: Beware of the Peace Lily, a frequent inhabitant of homes, as it poses a threat to your canine companion. Chewing or consuming this plant can result in notable mouth irritation, drooling, vomiting, and challenges with swallowing.

Sago Palm: Toxic to all pets, ingestion can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, liver failure, and even prove fatal, with the seeds being especially dangerous.

Tulips: Lactones in tulips, especially their bulbs, can cause pain and irritation in the mouth, depression, appetite loss, drooling, nausea and vomiting.

The Dangers of Pesticides: Beyond these poisonous plants, keep in mind that public grass and plants may be treated with hazardous synthetic pesticides and herbicides, potentially harming your pets. Be cautious when exploring outdoor spaces and wash your pets' paws after walks to prevent exposure.

Seek Professional Help: Remember, your pet's well-being is your responsibility. If you suspect they've ingested something harmful, immediately consult a veterinarian or visit an animal hospital. Any unusual behaviour, such as fatigue, vomiting, or excessive drooling, warrants swift attention.

Being a vigilant pet owner ensures a safer and healthier life for your beloved furry companions.